What are the elective volunteer jobs?
Volunteers, working under the guidance of a volunteer parent coordinator and our professional staff, may take on the following jobs: backstage, technical & “house.”
Note: This list is not complete, but it is a summary of the types of jobs we need help with on major productions. Anyone can help, not just the family, but friends and co-workers!
- Gather material
- Gather accessories
- Sewing costumes
- Fitting costumes
- Organizing the costumes backstage
- Dressers (for actors needing quick changes)
- Laundering costumes after the show, and returning them to HCT storage
- Set design assistance
- Gather materials for set construction
- Set construction (please bring tools, we have some, but not all)
- Set painting Artwork: scenic design
- Set dressing (gather furniture, etc. to dress the set)
- Load into the hall; set up the stage
- Stage Crew (back stage for every performance)
- Break down on closing night and bring set back to HCT storage
Hair and Makeup
- Help backstage with hair and makeup
- Posters: design and distribution
- Hotels; concierges
- TV ad; video the ad
- Banners; help put them up
Program (computer skills needed)
- Scan ads
- Create ads for those that request it
- Help lay-out program for printer
- Gather props on prop list and give to prop-master
- Gather materials for prop-making class
- Prop-master (backstage for every performance and working with stage crew)
- Photos taken the last month during rehearsal and individual of actors for the star board and lobby display
Go-for (assist the staff during the week prior to opening with all the little details)
During the run of the Show
- We love to get as many ads as we can get and sometimes we get someone who will do outside sales of ads for the program.
- Bake goodies to sell
- Help buy drinks and ice
- Help sell during intermission
- Help gather prizes to win in the drawings (we need some big ones and some medium size ones and some smaller ones, like gift certificates.
- Help sell drawing tickets during intermission
Lobby display and set up
- Star board (arrange the photos and actors, etc. in a nice display (artistic ability a plus here)
- Decorations—if any, we get tables from Island Liquidators and the Convention Hall
- This is like stage manager, but in the hall and lobby area. You are the first one there and the last one to leave. This is a job with a lot of responsibility as you are in charge of everything in the lobby (canteen, tickets, opening up, etc.) and the hall (ushers, house lights, cleanup in all areas.)
- We need at least 2 each performance and this is a serious job keeping order in the hall during performance and picking up after everyone leaves.
Back stage assistance
- Helping with the kids back stage: usually intersects with hair, makeup, stage crew, props and dressers
- We can have this in the lobby of the hall following the closing performance while the parents are breaking down the set, or at another place at another time.
- We feed everyone!
- We dance and play games.
- We need someone to organize the party activities and food.
- It would be nice to have prizes too.
All the time
- We run this organization on a very tight budget and we try for donations of everything that we can get: prizes, materials, lumber, etc.
- We are a 501-c3 and can give a donation letter to anyone who donates anything with regard to the production.